Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Playhouse Stealth Mode (2012-039)

I finally got the felt paper up on all the walls, so it feels like the playhouse is in stealth mode ...

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Loft Gate (2012-038)

I got the new and improved loft gate finished yesterday, but I didn't take pictures of it until today.  The previous gate was just temporary and pretty flimsy.  I removed it over a month ago.  This new gate is much more sturdy and the vertical elements follow the same construction as the rest of the loft railing.  I opened up the playhouse for the kids to play in during our Memorial Day weekend barbecue, so I wanted to make sure I had the gate installed for their safety.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

East Roof Window (2012-037)

I got the second "roof window" installed on the east wall.  This one will require a little more thought than the west window, because the east window is adjacent to the dormer roof.  So I want to make sure I keep things water tight.

Friday, May 18, 2012

Gettin' the Felt On (2012-036)

I didn't get as much done last week as I should have, so I am pulling out all the stops to get more done each day after work, even if I can only spend an hour or half our on the house.  So by Friday of this week, I wrapped more felt paper around the north and east walls.  Then I added water proofing material to the remaining south wall window sills.

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Construction Week Day 7 (2012-035)

Today turned out to be disappointing, because I decided my inexpensive siding solution for the playhouse won't work.  It just looks too half-assed.  But at least it's good that I recognize it now and cut my losses than continue down the path I started.  My original inspiration for my siding design was the first picture below, which is a little unconventional, but they pulled it off well.  So I thought I could do the same with cheap cedar fence board material I found at Home Depot.  But that fence board material is just too rough and unstable to make the clean crisp look I like in the original picture that inspired me.  I have to come up with another plan.

My original inspiration ...
... my unsuccessful recreation.

Friday, May 11, 2012

Construction Week Day 6 (2012-035)

Well as it turned out, I was only half as productive as I hoped to be.  I only got the new window installed.  It feels good to have at least a small portion of the west end finished off, even though I didn't even start installing the siding yet.  My excuse is I've never done this before, so I guess I am pleased that I made my first window from scratch without any big problems.  Plus it was really hot again today.  Nevertheless, I don't think I could ever make a living as a general contractor.  I hope I'll have time to do the siding this weekend even though  it's Mother's Day weekend.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Construction Week Day 5 (2012-0035)

Today went much better than yesterday, because I was much more productive.  At least I felt I was more productive, because I made sure I was always focused on getting something done.  So I did get the felt paper up on the west end and the adjoining surfaces on the north and south sides.  Then I installed  z-bar along the top edge of the west wall.  I also succeeded in scoring and cutting three acrylic panels for the west end window without scrapping any material.  But when I took pictures of my work today, it doesn't look like I did much beyond adding the felt paper.  Tomorrow's pictures should look a lot different, because I fully expect to install the siding and windows on the west end of the playhouse.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Construction Week Day 4 (2012-034)

Today I felt really at a loss for what I was going to do next for the playhouse, because I had to finally figure out details for making the windows, the water tight seals around the windows, how the felt paper would attach around the windows, and how the siding would install on top of the felt.

(To save money, my plan has been to make some simple windows instead of buying real windows, which could cost close to $100 a piece minimum, and probably more for some of the unusual window shapes/sizes in my design.  The playhouse has 10 windows!)

As a result, I spent most of today in a quandry, and I didn't get a whole lot done, but I think I have the details figured out, and I better get A LOT done tomorrow!

Window details figured out?

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Construction Week Day 3 (2012-033)

Today I only had to go back to Home Depot to return wood stain sprayer that didn't work as advertised.  Instead I got a small paint roller to apply the stain to my wood.  It was sooooo hotttt today!  I  only had the energy to apply the stain.

It's hottt outside!

Monday, May 7, 2012

Construction Week Day 2 (2012-032)

Today I had a late start on the playhouse, because I had the termite inspector do our bi-annual inspection on our real house.  Good news!  No termites!  Then I went to Home Depot in the afternoon and bought a small initial quantity of cedar fence boards to test my plan to use it as siding for the playhouse.  The fence boards have a pretty rough finish, so I had to spend the rest of the day sanding them with my palm sander.  Yay.  Renee took this picture of me before I got my sander out.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Construction Week Day 1 (2012-031)

I am almost done with my removable dormer roof / star gazing design.  I am planning on taking the coming week off from work to hopefully make some big strides towards finally finishing the playhouse.  At work, my friend Sherry thought I would feel lucky to have the week off.  However, it's going to be a lot of hard work, and with the hot weather in the forecast, it could be Hell Week.  I won't be so pessimistic yet.  I'll just call this coming week Construction Week.