I finally started working on MAKING the windows. Of course, now I wish I designed the house to use standard off-the-shelf windows I could get at Home Depot. But when I was designing, I thought it would be better to make simple windows myself and save some money. Now I have SEVEN windows to MAKE, which will take so much time I don't want to think about it. Yes, I will save some money. Yes, the basic Home Depot windows only come in white, and I can paint the windows I make any color I like. But now I am so eager to be done with the project, that I wish I could buy the Home Depot windows for the playhouse. However, now it's too late. I've committed to making my own custom windows, so I just have to do it.
My plan is to completely build up the first window, including the window sill, frame, and pane, so I know for sure how it all comes together. Then I will build the remaining windows in parallel.
Here is the window sill and frame for the first window.
Saturday, July 28, 2012
Sunday, July 15, 2012
Saturday, July 7, 2012
Monday, July 2, 2012
With my window issues hopefully under control, I finally moved on to install siding. Yesterday I got some good momentum and "installed" siding on the west wall. Then I "installed" one of three panels on the south wall. Today I "installed" the remaining panels on the south wall. I say "installed" with quotes, because I just used the bare minimum amount of finishing nails to hold the panels up. To finish the job properly, I will need to install a lot more nails. But I only have a hammer, and that will take a long time to finish. So I may have to bite the bullet and pay $200+ to buy a nail gun and air compressor ... Ugg. In the meantime, I enjoy looking at today's pictures, because the playhouse is starting to look like a real house.
Sunday, July 1, 2012
I've become rather paranoid about my top windows leaking because I made them on the cheap with plexi-glass, and they are not what I would pay a professional contractor to build. So I went back yet again to my windows and slightly disassembled the bottom portions to ship in additional felt paper to protect the top edges of the OSB plywood walls.