Friday, April 20, 2012
Of course, when I take a day off to work on the playhouse the temperature shoots up to 90 degrees. So I was only able to shingle the majority of the south roof. I still have a little bit to do on the opposite side of the dormer roof. Then I need to install latches to secure the dormer roof hatches. Then I need to figure out how to weatherproof the hatches. I could use shingles, but I think that would make the hatches very heavy and hard too remove.
Sunday, April 8, 2012
I made the second square opening for the second aluminum roof vent. But I also decided I installed the first roof vent too soon yesterday, because I installed the roof vent and put the roofing paper on top, which may make the roof vulnerable to leaks. I decided a better way would be to install the aluminum vents on top of the roofing paper and install shingles around the vents. So today I cut the second square opening, removed the aluminum vent I installed yesterday, installed wire mesh, and continued installing shingles. I will install the aluminum vents tomorrow when I install shingles up close to the vent openings.
Saturday, April 7, 2012
I did not include a ventilation system in my original roof design, and that's proven to be a real strain on my motivation. If I planned ahead properly, I would have opted to make a ventilation opening along the top ridge of the roof. But now it's all closed up, and I do not want to cut the ridge open. So I have to stop installing shingles for now and cut square holes to install aluminum vents. Here is the first of two vents I plan to install.
Sunday, April 1, 2012
Since it's been raining so frequently, I did not want to work on the roof this weekend, because it would be too much trouble taking the tarp off and putting it back on the roof again. So I just did a little work on the inside and put the left railing on the step ladder. I had to remove the temporary gate to do it. I want to install a more durable permanent gate later.